Surviving and going through recovery after a stroke is both an emotionally and physically challenging process, and the main thing you’d like to do is to return to your regular life. Nevertheless, because at least half of stroke survivors frequently have some kind of disability, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in-home safety modifications may be needed to make life after a stroke safer and easier. Continue reading “Tips to Aid in Recovery After a Stroke”
Call us to learn more about these services. 509-627-8575.
Stroke, according to the National Stroke Association, is listed as the fifth leading cause of death in America, with upwards of 800,000 people experiencing a stroke on an annual basis. This suggests that every 40 seconds, somebody somewhere in America has a stroke. And every four minutes, someone dies from a stroke.
As a family caregiver, it’s important to familiarize yourself with common stroke symptoms in the elderly so that you can quickly seek medical care for your loved one if needed. The more quickly you access assistance, the better the chance the individual will live through the stroke. Stroke warning signs might include sudden onset of:
- Feeling numb or weak in the leg, face, or arm – specifically on one side of the body
- Confusion, trouble with understanding or speaking
- Blurry vision or trouble seeing
- Difficulties with walking, feeling lightheaded, loss of balance or coordination
- Major headache with no known cause
If you detect these signs of a stroke in someone, remember to act F.A.S.T.
Face: Ask the person to smile and observe if one side seems to droop.
Arms: Ask the individual to raise both arms. Does one arm seem to droop downward?
Speech: Ask the individual to repeat a very simple sentence. When he/she does, observe if speech slurs or if the person is struggling to put together words appropriately.
Time: Time is crucial! If you see any of the warning signs above, call 911 right away or make sure the person gets to the hospital as soon as possible!
At Home Care Solutions, providers of award-winning in home care in Kennewick and the surrounding area, we pride ourselves on providing professional, highly-trained caregivers to assist seniors in recovering from a stroke in the comfort and familiarity of home. We provide a broad variety of senior home care services that can be customized to meet the unique needs of each client. Just a few of the ways we can help include:
- Friendly companionship and engaging conversations
- Nutritious meal planning and preparation, with adherence to any special dietary needs
- Personal care assistance such as showering, using the bathroom, and dressing
- Help getting around the house, ensuring fall hazards are eliminated
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Encouragement to engage in physician-approved exercise programs
- And much more